Unmukt Chand will become the first Indian male cricketer to play in Australia’s Big Bash League (BBL) after signing a contract for the 2021-2022 season, which begins next month.
The club announced Thursday that the 28-year-old former Indian Premier League player will join the Melbourne Renegades for the Twenty20 competition.
“It’s fantastic to have Unmukt on board, and we’re excited to see what he can do as a Renegade,” club manager James Rosengarten said.
Also Read; Zaha considers Ivory Coast future after asking to miss qualifiers
“As the first Indian player in the BBL, he makes history, which is exciting for our club, our fans, and the competition.”
During his career, Chand has played for three IPL franchises: Delhi Daredevils, Mumbai Indians, and Rajasthan Royals, and he has also captained India A and India U19.
Chand will bring a wealth of cricket experience to the Renegades, according to coach David Saker.
“Unmukt is a dynamic batter who can change games quickly,” Saker said.
“He has spent the majority of his career at the top of the food chain, but we believe he has the versatility to fill a variety of roles as needed.”
While Indian women’s players are permitted to compete in overseas domestic leagues, male international and domestic players are not.
Chand retired from Indian cricket earlier this year and has since been playing for the Silicon Valley Strikers in the United States.
He described the Australia move as an opportunity to play some good cricket in front of Indian fans.
“I know there will be a lot of Melbourne, so it’ll be nice, and I hope the crowds turn out for the games as well,” he said.
“I’m excited to contribute as much as I can on the field.” “I’ll give it my all.”
Leave a Reply